Thursday, May 28, 2009

Magnolia Electric Co. - new song & back to Tucson

Opening shows is a certainly a double-edged sword: you're playing to a half-full room of largely uninterested people, but then again it's a far larger crowd than you'd draw on your own.

Magnolia Electric Co. played a top-notch set leading up to the Avett Brothers three weeks back, and the band is headed back out on the road again this summer, with a July 27 show at Solar Culture. I reckon that show will be packed despite the deserted Tucson summer.

And just six days before that show, the band returns with a new album, Josephine. The title song is outstanding, a perfectly crafted sunset tale of wanderlust and broken love, with the expected piano, fuzz guitar and Jason Molina's high and lonesome vocals. "I saw the horizon and I had to know where it all ends. I lived so long with the shadows, Lord I became one of them." Damn.

DOWNLOAD:
Magnolia Electric Co. - Josephine

No comments: