Wednesday, May 06, 2009

The Avett Brothers

On the verge of a tremendous 2009, North Carolina's Avett Brothers are visiting Tucson tomorrow, with a 5 p.m. performance at Bookman's on Grant before the evening's show at the Rialto Theatre, with Magnolia Electric Co.

I've been prepping all day, listening to the band's amazing blend of energetic, joyous and heartfelt songs. The Avetts play a brand of acoustic music that nobody else does - somehow taking bluegrass, country and folk building blocks and making loud, raucous rock music.

I missed them the last time they were in Tucson, so I'll catch 'em twice tomorrow to make up for it. The Tucson Weekly interviewed the band about Thursday's show, their new album and what it's been like see their fortunes rising so quickly after nine years of steady touring.

The Avetts are jumping from Ramseur Records to Columbia for I and Love and You, produced by none other than Rick Rubin and certainly one of my most anticipated albums this year (after Dylan, Wilco and Neko Case). The release date is Aug. 11.

I may have come to the band a bit late, but for the past year or so I've been wrapped up in Emotionalism, one of the most refreshing albums I've heard in ages. It's catchy and simple, intense and honest, and a sing-along record that I just can't wait to hear live. And I've been told their live show is one of the best around.

FWIW: the band is pretty active on Twitter.

And like I said before, I think I'll go nuts if they bust out this amazing Springsteen cover:



DOWNLOAD:
Avett Brothers - Will You Return?
Avett Brothers - Matrimony

No comments: