Sunday, July 20, 2008

James McMurtry at Congress tonight

Austin's James McMurtry makes another trip to Tucson tonight, in support of his fantastic new record, Just Us Kids. A consummate storyteller, McMurtry's songs unfold in a slow drawl, backed by bluesy bar-band guitars. His last two records have heavy with political statements - and scathing "Cheney's Toy" on Just Us Kids is more than just a protest song, it's among the first statements of any type to really get to the heart of what sort of legacy Bush will leave behind.

Check out McMurtry singing "Ruby & Carlos" during a performance last month at WNKU in Cincinnati. It's trademark McMurtry, a long winding narrative of a tune that seems more like a novel than a song:



More on the new record and a review of the show coming later...

DOWNLOAD:
James McMurtry - WNKU performance/interview
James McMurtry - We Can't Make It Here (acoustic)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

McMurtry is a national treasure.
I don't have the new album yet but I have 'Childish Things' and that one is fantastic too. I especially love 'Memorial Day.' That really takes me back to when I was a kid in the car with my Dad driving. Wow. So real.

I'd like to think that James would dig my new record, 'The Cost.'