Saturday, April 24, 2004

A different world

Not only am I awake and (mildly) alert long before 9 a.m., but I'm already at work. Swapping for the day shift not only affords me the opportunity to check out Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers tonight, but also a (thankfully) rare glimpse of the World Before Noon.
It's weird, especially on a Saturday. I saw the chief deputy County Attorney jogging (good boy!). The traffic was negligible. The Circle K clerks were different.
But none of that compares to this stunning observation, the real reason mornings are absolutely creepy:
The shadows go the wrong way. It's subtle, but taken all together, west-pointing shadows make everything look just different enough to creep me out. It's like a reverse negative or mirror effect. It's a Tim Burton-looking world, or some bizarro dimension. The worst is a lawn, in which each tiny of blade of grass casts its own wrong-leaning shadow.